◊ James GrayThe movie “Armageddon Time” is based on your childhood years. Are fiction and reality intertwined in the movie?
– James Gray: That was the biggest challenge we faced while making the movie, I tried so hard to make everything look real. My family in the movie food I used the plates, I brought the chandelier in the dining room to the set. Anthony Hopkins put on my grandfather’s hat. Even our refrigerator and stove, which I was so awkwardly trying to fix, were in the movie. In short, I tried a lot.
◊ You played James Gray’s mother in the movie… What do you think about your character?
– Anne Hathaway: This is James’ movie… I hoped to show him something about his mother that he hadn’t thought of or seen. I learned a lot from James’ movie and the script.
MY FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL TRUMP CHOOSE ME
◊ You will appear in front of the audience as James Gray’s father. Did James Gray share his memories with you before the movie?
– Jeremy Strong: To be honest, no. I received emails saying “I will tell you everything, I will share everything”, but these promises did not come true. (Laughs) James trusted us incredibly. I think we believed it too, we were able to bring our own interpretation based on the text.
◊ You studied at Kew-Forest School in New York, where Donald Trump also attended. The movie also features Donald Trump’s real estate tycoon father, Fred, and his lawyer sister, Maryanne, as characters.
– James Gray: To be clear, I didn’t make up any of the events in the movie. Fred Trump was on the board of trustees of my prep school, which is portrayed with remarkable accuracy in the movie. My first day there, it probably chose me. I’m sure it’s ridiculous, I didn’t look preppy. Something was wrong with me, and quite clearly, and he spotted it from a mile away. Maryanne Trump had a speech at school about winning. Then I realized that this speech was the same in the parliament…
I’M SORRY FOR IMPLIED THE FILM WITH POLITICS
◊ What did you feel?
– James Gray: I remember it bothering me… That’s exactly how I felt… I loved Fellini’s “Amarcord”. I think what adds value to this movie is that it reminds us of Mussolini’s domination over the people in Rimini, how the war came and the destruction of Italy was coming. While this terrible thing is out there and the situation is only going to get worse, all these people are getting involved in real acts of stupidity. And that’s how Trump’s made me feel. Sorry for bringing politics into the movie. (laughs)
◊ With this movie, you watched your past through the lens, in a way, you relived it. Do you have a memory in the past that you regret?
– James Gray: The moment my black friend came to see me in the college garden… It was embarrassing when I ignored him.
of James’ memory a part of it was an honor to be
◊ Is there anything you would like to add about the movie?
– James Gray: We shot the movie 90 meters from my home, down a block. The only reason we didn’t shoot at my house was because the woman sitting there wouldn’t open the door for us, she was so rude. Dinners, my grandparents, my great aunt, my uncle and my family… Everything that has a memory is very important to me.
– Anne Hathaway:– I’m proud of James. It was an honor to be a part of his memory.